Sunday 6 April 2008

The Perils of Dramatic Effects in Church

Having finished a sermon this week on the Church in Laodicea (Revelation 3:14-22) our pastor led communion. He linked his comments when breaking the bread to his message. We took the bread and grape juice and were quietly sharing it and praying. Suddenly a loud knock was heard at the door. People looked in puzzlement, perhaps some knew what was going on, but your's truly jumped up to investigate. Who should I find hiding behind the door in the foyer but the pastor - "I was doing it for effect - sorry," he whispered. "That's okay," I said, tying to hide my embarrassment, "Aren't you glad that at least one heard the call and responded."

Interestingly, the verse from Revelation (3:20) that speaks of Christ standing at the door knocking and which inspired Holman Hunt's famous painting (opposite) was one of two key verses in the sermon which led to my conversion as a 31 year old almost 25 years ago.

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me" (Revelation 3:20).

The other key verse was Matthew 11:28 "Come to me, all who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

The Holman Hunt painting was also mentioned on that occasion (as it was today). Hopefully, next time, I'll be ready for any special effects that our pastor might use.

No comments: